收起左侧

[英文] 《The Luck of Enoch Higgins 》作者:- Charles R. Tanner【EPUB】

[复制链接]

管理员 - 管理勋章超级版主 - 超级版主版主勋章 - 版主勋章

灰铜v1_03紫银v2_02绿金v1_01灰金v1_05绿银v1_01绿铜v3_01灵晶土豪紫铜v1_04紫铜v3_01

跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-4-21 08:21 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
The Luck of Enoch Higgins Charles R Tanner Maybe luck isn’t just something that happens to you; it might be a sort of seventh sense or something. Anyway, Enoch Higgins thought so and invented a way of developing that sense. Whenever I hear anybody speak of luck, I think of old Enoch Higgins. There was a fellow who really had luck. And even when his luck appeared to be at its worst, it turned out to be good. But then, Enoch sort of stacked the cards, you might say; he was the first man in history to ring in a cold deck on the Fates. Let me tell you how it happened. In the first place, old Enoch Higgins was about the most exasperating man in our town. He had a way about him - testy, arrogant, domineering - none of those words described him com-pletely, I’m forced to fall back on that one word, exasperating. And poor Elmer Bidwell, who was engaged to Enoch’s daughter, Laura, was in a position which made him the butt of all of Enoch’s testiness, arrogance and domination. For Elmer had met Laura and fallen in love with her while still in school, and after graduation he had got a job as laboratory assistant in the big chemical works in our town, and lo and behold, the man he was assigned to work with was none other than old Enoch, his sweetheart’s father. It didn’t take Enoch long to find out that the young “sprout” that was going out with Laura was none other than his lab assistant, and after that he cheerfully blackmailed him into working many and many an hour overtime, in Enoch’s home. He’d
插件设计:zasq.net

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|手机版|小黑屋| ( Q群816270601 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-29 19:52 , Processed in 2.158749 second(s), 54 queries .